Nicole J. Best, CPA, is Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer, and Chief Administrative Officer. She is also Vice President, Principal Accounting Officer, and Treasurer of the Heartland Funds.
She has extensive industry experience, including direct oversight of:
- Mutual fund accounting
- Fund administration
- Broker dealer operations
- Corporate accounting
- Investment operations
- Information technology
- Human resources
- CRM administration
- Custody services
- Relationship management and client service
- Business analysis and project management
- Office administration
Best became Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer in 2010, and added the Chief Administrative Officer duties in 2015. She originally began at Heartland in 1998 and served in a number of capacities, including Treasurer, Principal Accounting Officer, and Chief Compliance Officer.
She briefly stepped away from Heartland in 2008 to become Senior Vice President of Investor Services and Markets at Brown Brothers Harriman. She had responsibility for global relationship management, business development, and strategic servicing of a broad range of global investment managers.
Prior to first joining Heartland, Best was Senior Auditor of Financial Services at Arthur Andersen.
Best is an active industry participant. She has served in a variety of leadership roles within NICSA and has presented at a number of industry conferences, including the:
- Investment Company Institute’s Technology and Operations Conference
- NICSA Strategic Leadership Forum
- NICSA General Membership Conference
She is a member of TEMPO Milwaukee, an association for women business leaders.
She enjoys an active lifestyle, volunteering in the community, and traveling with family and friends.
- Heartland Advisors, 2010-present
- Brown Brothers Harriman, 2008-2010
- Heartland Advisors, 1998-2008
- Arthur Anderson, 1995-1998
- M.B.A. in Finance, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee, 2002
- B.S.B.A. in Accounting and Finance, Creighton University, 1995
Certification and Licensing
- Milwaukee County Pension Board Member
- Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast, Board Member, Treasurer, Finance Committee Chair, and Audit Committee Member and Former 2nd Vice Chair
- Secure Futures, Advisory Council Member and Volunteer, Former Board President and Treasurer
- Creighton University - Heider College of Business Advisory, Board Member
- NICSA, Prior Co-Chair of the National Strategic Leadership Forum and the Midwest Committee
- American Heart Association Milwaukee Go Red for Women, Former Leadership Committee Member
- Milwaukee Public Market, Former Board Member
- Global Youth Leadership Institute, Former Board Member